I’ve notice many people on Facebook are still using very limited profile accounts for their company’s social media presence or “online business card” & communication to the public instead of taking advantage of having a Facebook Page!
AND You may say..“But I have put too much work & time into my profile”
There is a fix, They built you a migration setting just for this situation!
I have a very EASY answer for you: Facebook’s Migration Tool
A few things to keep in mind before you make the transfer:
The launch of Facebook Pages left many businesses owners in a scramble to design their Pages & learn in what ways those pages could help their companies grow online for them. BUT Those with existing profiles had a dilemma of whether to abandon their profile and build a page or have both a page and a profile..
What to do.. What to do…
But there is another option; Migrate your account to a Facebook Page.
Facebook has launched a migration tool that converts a Facebook profile to an official Page with the click of a button, transforming friends to fans.
This for many is a welcome change compared to the messy process of creating and designing a Page totally from scratch and EVEN WORSE …starting with an empty friends list! (Did you just hear the woman screaming sound bite with that thought in your head too?)
How to convert your Facebook profile to business page?
Facebook profile to business page migration is actually quiet simple:
- Any migration is susceptible to data loss. Therefore, it’s best to keep a backup of your profile data before you start the migration process. You can learn how to back-up your Facebook profile here.
- The starting point is to access the migration tool here. Be mindful that only your profile photos would be preserved. Other content including additional photographs would be discarded. So be sure you have that backup folder for reloading any photos & videos you may want to re-load to the new page.
- Choose the appropriate business category, specify a name, subcategory, and a few other items. Once your business page is live, you will be asked to fill in any other necessary details.
Some things to keep in mind..
Facebook profile migration is a one way street. Once you convert your profile to a page, there’s no way you can restore it back to a profile. So be sure you’re sure and then be sure-er. You really need to make up your mind first.
So, is your business better off with an existing profile or should you transform it to a page? There are several considerations that need to be accounted for.
- Personal profiles with business orientation – Facebook warns that having a personal profile for anything other than a single individual violates its guidelines. Facebook suggests converting such profiles to business pages, or else risk being banned for policy violations.
- Pros and cons – Converting to a page has it’s own pros and cons. Though it offers special features to better administer fans and customers and to manage a business’s social ads, a business page can’t view and befriend fans’ personal profiles.
Facebook’s Profile to Page Migration Permalink: https://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=116067818477568#How-do-I-convert-my-personal-account-to-a-Facebook-Page?
- Download your profile (timeline) information. You can download a filethat contains all of your sent and received messages and all of the photos and videos you’ve uploaded to Facebook.
- Appoint a new group admin to any groups you manage. The account you’re converting will lose these admin rights during the conversion process.
Be sure to be READY! I also have some help pages to share with you when you’re ready to work on the actual Fb Page design.
- Tips for Successful Facebook Timeline Fan Page Design (must have tips & how-to’s for design)
- UPDATED! BlotterMonkey’s Facebook Timeline Cover Art Design Template
- BlotterMonkey’s Information Architecture & Design Pag (For ever growing list of helps & how-to’s for Web Business & Design)
Have you used the Facebook profile to business migration tool? Are you planning to convert your profile into a business page? Please share your opinion by leaving a comment below this post