ENTJ and Careers
ENTJs are strategic leaders, motivated to organize. They are quick to see inefficiency and conceptualize new solutions, and enjoy developing long-range plans to accomplish their vision. They excel at logical reasoning and are usually articulate and quick-witted.
ENTJs are engaged with the world around them, and want to make sense of it. They have a clear sense of order and want to organize people and processes to progress in a logical manner.
When there are flaws in a system, the ENTJ sees them, and enjoys the process of discovering and implementing a successful solution.
ENTJs are often very motivated by success in their careers and enjoy hard work. They are typically ambitious and interested in gaining power and influence. To the ENTJ, decision-making is a vocation. They want to be in a position to make the call and put plans into motion.
ENTJs tend to be blunt and decisive. Driven to get things done, they can sometimes be critical or brusque in the pursuit of a goal. They are typically friendly and outgoing, although they may not pick up on emotional subtleties in other people, but once this problem is recognized it is usually fixed. They often love working with others toward a common goal, but may not find time to attend to their feelings. They are focused on results and want to be productive, competent, and influential.
ENTJ – Extraverted iNtuitive Thinking Judging (Extraverted Thinking with Introverted Intuition)
ENTJ (Jung, Mbti and Keirsey personality type) Also referred to as “The Executive”
Here are 3 must reads for understanding any ENTJ:
So you are here either by the result of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) personalty test and you are naturally researching more about the subject & career, or you are learning more about a friend or coworker that is classified as an ENTJ and you want to understand tips for working with this person…
Whatever the case may be, I hope to include helpful advice, Tips and links I have found about or personality type and how it applies in your workplace.
Naturally ENTJ’s often self identify with our careers as this aspect of our life is very important to us.
This article will present a small summary of career tips and suggestions for the ENTJ personality type.
ENTJ is one of the least common types in the population, and the rarest type among women (with INTJ). ENTJs make up:
- 2% of the general population
- 3% of men
- 1% of women
By learning more about our own Personality, and about other Personality Types, we can come to a better understanding of our strengths and weaknesses.
We can improve interpersonal relationships, realign expectations towards others, and gain a better self-knowledge that will help define and achieve goals.
It’s important to understand yourself and the personality traits which will impact your likeliness to succeed or fail at various careers.
ENTJs generally have the following traits:
- Driven to turn theories into plans
- Highly value knowledge
- Natural leaders
- Impatient with inefficiency and incompetence
- Want things structured and orderly
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Dislike routine, detail-oriented tasks
ENTJs are especially well-suited to be leaders and organization builders. They have the ability to clearly identify problems and innovative solutions for the short and long-term well-being of an organization. Having a strong desire to lead, they’re not likely to be happy as followers. ENTJs like to be in charge, and need to be in charge to take advantage of their special capabilities.
What ENTJs want from a career:
- opportunity for creative problem solving
- new and interesting people from different backgrounds
- structured, scheduled and efficient environment
- lots of variety
- an environment where contributions are rewarded in a fair way
- if possible, a competitive workplace or industry
- opportunity for personal growth
What ENTJ’s have to offer:
- great leadership and management skills
- good at resolving conflict
- perfectionism, drive and ambition
- long range planning
- hard working
- seeing the big picture, looking beyond what is already known
- exploring ideas and coming up with solutions to complex problems
So which careers can make the best use of ENTJ’s skills and at the same time give them a sense of satisfaction and purpose?
- business (CEOs, marketing managers, entrepreneurs…)
- project manager
- human resources (ENTJs are good at spotting talent and ability, and assigning roles based on abilities)
- professor/academic/lecturer (great verbal skills and ability to present things as simple as possible)
- politicians/state leaders (big picture thinking, debating skills and leading)
- scientist/biologist/physicist/chemist (like all rationals, ENTJs are scientific and highly value knowledge)
- lawyer or judge
Other careers ENTJs might enjoy include:
Marketing specialist, government employee, developer, political scientist, bounty hunter, international relations specialist, software designer, systems analyst, entertainment lawyer, foreign service officer, strategist, project manager, advertising executive, cia agent, geneticist, private investigator, administrator, business analyst, management consultant, producer, financial adviser, genetics researcher, cardiologist, professor, fbi agent, game developer, website owner, journalist…
ENTJ careers to avoid:
ENTJs should avoid careers that don’t present them with a challenge and don’t stimulate their learning and thinking. They should also avoid careers that don’t offer lots of variety or opportunity for personal growth.
Here is a short list of ENTJ disfavored career paths: clerical employee, kindergarten teacher, carpenter, health care worker, child psychologist, massage therapist, nurse, opera singer, ambulance driver, nun, priest…
Please note that these suggestions should not be seen as gospel and if a career you like is not listed here it doesn’t mean it’s not right for you. What’s most important is to know your strengths and weaknesses and use them to your advantage.
List of links for the ENTJ
- http://www.personalitydesk.com/entj Personality Desk (good Resource for rare ENTJ information)
- http://personality-tests.co.uk/famous-entj-personalities/ Famous ENTJ Personalities
- http://www.personalitypage.com/ENTJ.html + http://www.personalitypage.com/html/ENTJ_car.html ENTJ Careers
- http://www.personalitypage.com/html/ENTJ_per.html Personal Growth for ENTJ’s
- http://www.personality-power-for-everyday-living.com/ENTJ-personality.html ENTJ Personality Life’s Natural Leaders.
- http://www.career-test.co.uk/ENTJ.html ENTJ Executives and Chiefs
- http://www.entjpersonality.info ENTJ (Jung, Mbti and Keirsey personality type). Careers, best/ideal match, compatibility in relationships, personal growth.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers-Briggs_Type_Indicator Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
- http://personalitycafe.com/entj-forum-executives Personality Cafe (ENTJ Forum – The Executives)
- http://www.systemsthinker.com/interests/mind/ptypes.shtml System Thinker (Personality Types)
- http://www.halverson-law.com/entj.htm ENTJs as negotiators
- Word Doc on ENTJ careers Advising & Academic Services
- http://www.16-personality-types.com/entj.htm 16 personality types
- http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/myers-briggs/entj.htm ENTJ personality types and weakness